Sunday, March 20, 2011

THE LAST PHOTO OF SCHUYLKILL COUNTY’S SPANISH AMERICAN WAR VETERANS



This photograph was taken in Garfield Square on May 29, 1961. It is the last photo of surviving Span Am war veterans,
Their ranks thinned by father time these are among the surviving members of the Spanish American War who posed in Garfield Square for this pre Memorial Day picture.
As a 12 year old I was very fortunate to have met and talked with these men. I remember Mr. Steidel, sitting in a car waiting for the Pottsville parade to start. My dad walked me over to him, and introduced me to him, his hand was thin and he looked ancient to me. But I can say with pride, I shook the hand of a Spanish American War Vet.

From Eric Bogle's great Song "AND THE BAND PLAYED WALTZING MATILDA"

"They're tired old heroes from a forgotten war
And the young people ask,
what are they marching for?
And I ask myself the same question.
But the band plays Waltzing Matilda
And the old men still answer the call,
But as year follows year, more old men disappear.
Someday no one will march there at all."


From the Left:
William Warner, 85 .Private Company F, 4th Pennsylvania Infantry. Cressona, Pa. Enrolled June 15, 1898 M.O Nov. 16, 1898.
John F. Krater, 82, Orwigsburg. Private Company K, 8th Pennsylvania Infantry. M.I. June 10, 1898, M.O. March 7, 1899
Gomer Hughes, 88, St.Clair Private Company K, 8th Pennsylvania Infantry. M.I.April 28, 1898, M.O. March 7,,1899.
William Lindemuth 82, Pottsville
George Reichneder, 76, Pottsville
John J. Cantwell 81, Pottsville, Company H, 8th Pennsylvania Infantry. M.I. June 10, 1898, M.O. March 7, 1899
George Steidel, 83, Pottsville
William H. Corby, 82, Pottsville. 8th Pennsylvania Infantry.
Unable to attend was Joseph Starr, of Llewellyn and Albert Bean of Pottsville.

No comments: