Friday, August 7, 2009

Iwo Jima Marine Corps Veterans at World War 2 Day Reading Pa. 2009

Though these men shown below are not from Schuylkill County, I find it important to add their stories. The purpose of this blog is to keep alive the stories of these men who fought and died for our country and have given us the freedom that we all live under today. Without their sacrifices, we would not live in a free society. And myself and my wife feel honored and privileged to have met these individuals and to have heard their invaluable, personal narratives.

Marine Vet Sgt. Roy Earle talks about an event that happened on Iwo Jima.
Video is with the permission of Roy Earle.

Sgt. Roy Earle was born and raised in Bloomfield New Jersey. He enlisted in the Marine Corps on November 10, 1942. He was sent to telephone school and was assigned as a field lineman and switchboard operator. Sgt. Earle made landings on Roi Namur on the 2nd wave , at Saipan on the 5th wave at Tinian and the 4th wave at Iwo Jima. Roy participated in 4 battles with different outfits and remains as one of those fortunate Marines who survived.
After the war Sgt. Earle worked with a pharmaceutical company and then returned to school earning several degrees, including an MBA from Rutgers University. He later became a professor with several universities finishing his educational career as the Chairman of the Business Department and Dean for Casco Bay College. He was also the National President for the Fourth Marine Division Association from 2005-2006.

Sgt. Roy Earle shows a Piece of shrapnel that nearly hit him on Iwo Jima.

My Grandson, Nathaniel, having the honor to be photographed with Iwo Jima veterans.

Left To Right Marine Jack Colby, Marine Sgt. Roy Earle, Marine Vern Brinzenhofe

Vernard (Vern) Brinzenhofe I Co., 3rd Bn. 25th Marine Regiment 4th Mar. Div. Vern was born in Struthers, Ohio and joined the marines on 5 May 1942. After boot camp at Paris Island he was assigned to the 1sr aviation engineers, Fleet Marine Force. He was shipped to Samoa and New Caledonia to construct airfields. He then landed on Guadalcanal in September, 1942 and survived the second Coral Sea battle aboard ship Vern experienced numerous Japanese bombards while constructing the vital Henderson Airfield. He was sick with malaria and had to be evacuated to New Zealand in February 1943. After his recuperation he was assigned to I co. 3rd Battalion 25th regiment 4th Marine Division Where he participated in the invasions of Saipan and Iwo Jima. He was wounded by mortar fire on the 3rd day at Iwo Jima and was evacuated to Pearl Harbor. He later returned to the 1-3-25-4th Marines on Maui and was training for the invasion of Japan when the war ended. Vern worked for the Army Corp of Engineers in civilian life.

Jack Colby, 4th Signal Company H&S Battalion 4th Marine Division. Jack joined the Marines on December 2nd, 1942 and was trained as a field telephone operator. He participated in the invasion of Roi Namur, Saipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima. In civilian life Jack worked with the Washington Dc and Virginia Telephone company for 39 years.

No comments: