Sunday, October 5, 2008
THE POTTSVILLE CONTINENTALS
FROM THE LEFT; CAPTAIN POTT, LIEUT. CAKE, LIEUT. BROWN, AND LIEUT. LORD
TAG PICTURE TO ENLARGE
The Pottsville Continentals
I found this fascinating article in a copy of a paper magazine published by the S.H. Daddow & Co. Pottsville, Pa. Vol. 1 No. 1 it sold for 25 cents entitled.
This fine body of men was originally organized as a military company under the name of the “Pottsville Light Infantry” in the year 1830, and is one of the oldest companies now in existence in the state. The company was formed under the command of Captain William F. Dean, who was considered one of the best drilled officers outside of the army; John J. Shoemaker was 1st Lt; James M. Beatty 2nd Lt; and John C. Flanagan, 3rd. The number of muskets averaged about 28.
In 1832 the company made the first excursion to Reading, under the same officers, and took their Fourth of July Dinner on the Island.
In 1836 the “National :Light Infantry” made an excursion to Northumberland and visited Sunbury, Louisburg, Milton etc. and took their Fourth Of July Dinner at Danville; during the excursion the officers were Wm. F. Dean, J,M. Beatty, Col. J.M. Bickle and Benjamin Bannan. Capt Dean at this time resigned and William Shoenfielder took his place, and was shortly after succeeded by Capt. Baird, with D.J. Ridgway as 1st Lieut., Edward E. Bland as second, and John H. Downing as third.
ROLL OF THE NATIONAL LIGHT INFANTRY
Captain, William F. Dean
1st James M. Beaty, 2nd., Daniel Ridgway, 3rd., Edwqrd E. Bland
1. Richards, 1st. 2. Nagle, 2nd, 3 Falls, 3rd., Lawton, 4th.
5. Rose, 1st., 6. Shappell, 2nd 7. Reichard, 3rd. 8. Penrose, 4th
9. Russell. 10 Pollock 11 Barr 12. Severn. 13 Rodgers. 14 Yeager 15. Lippincott, 16. Jacob Reed. 17, Fitsimmons, 18. J. Johsnon, 19T. Johnson. 20. Minig, 21. Gies, 22. Stropub, 23. Foster. 24. McDonald. 25. Eicholds. 26. Dreher. 27. Joseph Reed. 28. Adams. 29. Siders. 30. Russel. 31. Ebert.
On the 18th of May 1842, the company made their second excursion to Reading in the cars, and escorted General Scott back with them to Pottsville. On the 5th of April 1853 the company under the command of Edward E. Bland, and Captain Partridge, one of the oldest officers of the State, was excerpted into town by the National Light Infantry, Pottsville Blues, German Yeagers, National Grays from Orwigsburg, and the First City Troop of Schuylkill County Cavalry, Col. Jackson and others in attendance.
Capt. Bland held his place until the war with Mexico and then resigned to Capt. Frank Pott. About this time the uniform of the company was changed from Grey to Blue. Various other changes and incidents marked the history of the Company up to the present period, which again witnesses a change of dress from the usual United States Uniform to the old Continental style, as worn by Washington and other heroes of the War of Independence; which can be seen to advantage in Lossing’s field book of the Revolution, and consists of a cocked hat, ruffled shirt, knee breeches, and high top boots. The present officers, as shown in the illustration engraving are Captain Frank Pott, Lieutenants Cake, Brow and Lord. Under these officers the company has just returned from their last and most pleasant excursion to Philadelphia and New York, where they were most agreeably received by friends, the military and civil authorities. They were met at the Broad st. depot by the courteous Col. Page and the State Fencibles and conducted to Independence Hall where they were received by the Mayor amid ;loud acclamations of the welcoming citizens. They afterwards vested New York, and were as much the subject of exhibition and admiration as the wonderful Place and it extraordinary novelties.