Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The Road to Gettysburg, The Civil War Diary of Captain Jacob W. Haas 96th P.V.I.

Captain Jacob Haas

While doing research in the Schuylkill County Historical Society I came across this copy of Captain Jacob Haas of Company G 96th P.V.I. Gettysburg period Diary. This diary was written during the Gettysburg Campaign. The diary gives a good look at the route of march taken by the 96th and 6th Corps during the Gettysburg campaign. It also gives a good look at the daily life of a company grade officer while in the field.
This diary was transcribed by James F. Haas, Jacobs Grandson.
Captain Haas was well known for his being mistaken for John Wilkes Booth. He was a Coal Mine Superintendent and a prominent resident of Northumberland County, and also lived in Schuylkill County.

June 1863
Near the North bank of the Rappahannock River, Virginia.

At the beginning of June, 1863, the Union Army was sitting along a long line on the North Bank of the Rappahannock River, in Virginia. Major General Joseph Hooker was still in command. The union Army had just undergone one of the worst defeats it ever suffered at the hands of General Robert E. Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia. Lee’s Army was then sitting around the city of Fredericksburg, Va. On the south bank of the Rappahannock.
The Sixth Corps, under the command of Major General John Sedgwick was in camp at White Oak Church, Va. In the 6th Corps was one of Schuylkill County’s famous regiments, the 96th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment. From June 6th till their departure from White Oak Church, Va. On June 13, 1863 the 96th saw continuous skirmishing and picket duty. On the 13th the regiment moved out with the rest of the famed 6th Corps and started on the memorable march to Gettysburg.
In command of Company G, 96th P.V.I. was Captain Jacob Haas. Company G contained men from Schuylkill, Berks and Dauphin Counties. Following are excerpts from Captain Haas’s diary during the Gettysburg, campaign.
Instead of writing the short, cut up sentences of a Haas’s diary I have taken the liberty to fill it in as thou Captain Haas was talking. Everything listed is what he wrote in his diary.

June 1, Monday,
Today is fine day, but very dusty. I worked on my ordnance returns, and rec3ieved invoices from major Lessig. I then gave him my receipts. I was also at a court martial, it has adjourned for 3 days. Today I felt unwell, and then wrote my wife.

June 2, Tuesday,
Another fine day, I drilled the company today and worked on my vouchers. I then wrote a letter to Ed, Hanna. I went over and paid my Mess Bill to Fesig for $12.54. I paid Rumberger $2.50. In the evening we had a Dress parade, later I maid out requisitions for clothing. Al is quiet; I am going to bed early.

June 3, Wednesday,
Another fine day, Mr. Schweers came to camp and brought me a letter and some tobacco, the letter was from my wife. I then wrote her a letter. I also arranged all of my papers. There are rumors of a big move today, although I just loafed around. I played some poker tonight first since being at Harrisons Landing. I had a bad pain in my side. This evening I spent a pleasant time at Schweers tent, had some lemonade. Went back home to my tent at 2 a.m. We received orders to have the men stand to arms at daybreak, looks like we are moving to prevent an attack.

June 4, Thursday,
I rose at 4 a.m. it is another fine day. I roused up the men and had them stand to arms for ½ hour. There were fears of a raid on our lines today. Nothing happened so I went back to bed again and slept to 8 a.m.. My feet are bad and sore. The sutler was open also. The First Corps moved out today, they say top White Plains. I think we will move also, maybe tomorrow. During the day it was very warm, and I cleaned my clothes of grease and pitch spots. I got a hat from Cranberry. I had meat boiled and sent to the men out on picket duty. All is quiet, it is now 2 p.m.. I understand that we are ready to move; I will regret parting with this camp. I just slept and worried the whole day through, and went to bed early. The Fifth Corps came back and pitched their tents.

June 5, Friday,
A woke to another fine day, I fixed up my pass book, received some clothing and had them issued. I also drew 600 rounds of ammunition and it issued to the men. We received orders to be ready to move on short notice; we also drew 8 days rations. I had more meat cooked and sent to the men n picket duty. There are all kinds of rumors coming in. For the benefit of my wife, I have only to say that all I owe in the world is for my hat, and no one owes me. If we go into action I will give my pocket book to Dr. Bland. I wrote a letter to my wife. At 5 p.m. I hear heavy cannonading and musketry, Today Charley Crosland came to camp. I went to bed about 10 p.m. I did not sleep well, I kept dreaming of battling.

June 6, Saturday,
Today starts out as a fine day, Packed up my belongings and got ready to move. Pickets came in at 10 ½ a.m. We loaded up our baggage. I gave Dr. Bland $44 to give to my wife in case I fall. I can hear cannonading and musketry at intervals. We started on the march at 12 ½ p.m. and marched to the Rappahannock and crossed at Bernard’s House. We stopped and rested until the evening. The 2nd Division is across, they said they lost 26 men getting across. William Miller was sent to the hospital. We had a thunder storm in the evening, we then moved back on the bluffs and went into camp for the night. I again slept badly, although I had a dream of a big dinner at Kopitches restaurant.

June 7, Sunday. I awoke at 5 a.m. to another fine day. I washed out my canteen, had breakfast and got a drink of whiskey. I felt better today, but just laid quiet all day. Our batteries where shelling during the day,. I got a letter from Tom Foster. At 7 ½ we struck tents and packed up, we moved out and crossed the river. We then filed out and laid in line of battle near Bernard House. Half of the company stayed awake until 12 midnight, then were relieved by the other half, the night was very cold. The third division dug a rifle pit along our bank.

June 8, Monday,
I rose up at 3 a.m. to another fine day. I got the men under arms, and stood to until 5 a.m.. Then I had breakfast. Seems the Rebs are thick, the rifle pit is a full mile long. I had tome to write my wife a letter. At 12 p.m., all is still quiet. There are still working parties at the rifle pit. The 95th Penna, Vols and the 121st New York arte on picket duty. I made out a report for the tri monthly returns. The siege guns on the other side shifted positions, the whole movement looks very curious to me. I t is a remarkable fact that t the closer we get to danger, the more lovely the distant hills are. At 6 P.M. I received a letter from my wife. My impression is that an assault will be made tomorrow. Our boys are still working go n the rifle pit, we pitched our tents and went to sleep. The Second Division was working on the earthworks all night.

Officers of the 96th P.V.I.

June 9, Tuesday,
We were aroused and stood to arms at 4 a.m. I then received orders to go on picket at 5 ½ a.m... I ate breakfast, packed up and moved forward to the right of the ravine and picketed the ravine from the river. I was much annoyed by sharpshooters, our pickets were firing all day, at times I felt very heavy and weary. Today the heat was intense. And there are plenty of rebs to be seen. Berdan Sharpshooters gave them hell. I was relieved at 7 p.m. by the Second New Jersey. Rebs shelled us with their heavy guns in the heights, the night was very cold, and I slept very badly.

June 9th 1863 1 p.m.
My Dear Brother.
We marched from camp on Saturday at 12 , and arrived at our old crossing place near Bernfills House at 5 p.m. camped for the night and crossed over the river on Sunday, evening and took position in line of battle and slept on our arms. The 2nd Division threw up breastworks in front of us, ½ mile to our right. Yesterday we laid quiet all day.
Last night we worked at the earthworks and this morning we were sent to the front to picket, and I can tell you now that it is very nasty. Their sharpshooters are hid in buildings on the outskirts of this town and fire at us constantly. Son of a Bitch. Shot seven of our pickets yesterday, at one post and has been shooting all morning again, but I haven’t yet learned with what success as it is to the right of me.
I am writing this laying down, for the moment they see one of us, bang three shots come, but of course we shoot too but they are hideaway to close to do with. The sun is very warm and lying in an open field, on your back, writing a letter is not much fun.
I do not know what to make of this move; it came as a surprise to me. I do not think that we will assault the heights again as the enemy are in large force in front of us. If we do assault the Heights, I heard we will be successful. I----------------- will again turn up as-------------------- , for I am anxious to get home to my dear little family.
I am almost convinced that we will never subdue the Rebels unless the Gov’t quits this dilly dallying and make a fuss over Copperheads and goes to work in earnest. Let it bring out the line and sinews; use more rope and less words. In one word, use all the powers that are vested in them and in 90 days this war will be over. Of course there would be so many men left but what of that, they can pay a pension for, F—K and the world will soon be full again. The fact is that our Generals had half the energy and ability the CSA have, a few short months would settle the CSA it is a shame that we do not soon do better. I will quit the service and goo to China to serve under the New Mandarin.
I am well and hearty, have a stiff upper lip, a tight --------.
I do not write as I have not had a passage in the last four days. I cannot see why you folks do not write to me and I am D---D if I pen another line to you until I do hear from you. I think one of our boys just got himself a sharpshooter as I can ------- -------- going amongst them. I wish you were here to see the fun, they are shooting like ------- and I would like to see you get, all over, no one hurt on our side. I must close something up. My love to you all, If I am wounded or killed got to Pottsville, get money and come for me. Good bye. A lovely skirmish is going on the right and working this way.

J,W, Haas

June 10, Wednesday
Today the 23rd New Jersey went home. There was picket firing all day at times very lively. I laid quiet all day. Went and bought some eating s from the sutler. We were then relieved by the First Division. We crossed on the North Bank of the river at 10 p.m. and lid in the road, I slept very badly.

June 11, Thursday.
Awoke to a fine day. Messrs. Little and Clayton came today with a flag. We had the presentation in the afternoon. General Bartlett received it for us, and he gave Little a “Backhander”. I laid quiet all day and into the night. We are under marching orders, and there are all kinds of rumors. I received two letters from my wife, and I in turn wrote her 2, one by mail and one to Mr. Clayton. We had lots of whiskey, and I sent home a receipt for checks.

June 12, Friday
We were aroused at 3 a.m. and ordered to go on picket at daylight. I had the men pack up and we marched pout at that time. Marched around 8 miles and went on picket at the Rappahannock. The rebs were very civil, we fished and swam in the river. We drew rations and the rebs and our men were fishing in the river all day. I washed my shirts and drawers. Later rebel shells came from the crest and fell in the road to our right. The 14th Georgia, 49th and 29th North Carolina was opposite us. One of the boys in the Fifth Maine swam across the river and traded papers; they treated him very kindly. The rebs have a fine band that played some pieces in the evening. I put out some strong posts in the evening, and the night passed without any alarms.

June 13, Saturday
We arose at 5 a.m. to another fine day. It was quiet all day. The General Officer of the Day came around and gave em hell, and ordered me to alter the posts, and told me the whole army had moved. Rain came up in the evening. The batteries on both sides shelled for awhile. At 10 p.m. Major Lessig ordered me to call in my pickets and move out in the road, we were to make no noise and rendezvous at White oak church. We then laid there about an hour. At 11 p.m. we marched across to Potomac Creek Bridge and rested a total distance of about 13 miles. During the march I fell over a stump and hurt my knee.

June 14, Sunday
We halted at 4 ½ a.m. and rested at Potomac Creek Bridge and waited for the Brigade unti 8 a.m. when we again marched about a half of mile. The day is cloudy. We rested there until 2 p.m. then moved near the RR Bridge and stayed all afternoon . I saw immense stores of public property burned. The Balloon is with us and it went up seven times during the day. Our pickets are on our right front. An immense wagon train and artillery train passed us. We marched at 8 p.m. and marched until 2 a.m. We halted at Stafford Court House and laid in the road and slept for two hours, a total distanced marched of 8 miles. This was the most tiresome march I ever made. During the night some horses ran away, a “Skidipper” ensued, I thought it was the enemy cavalry. I suffered very much from loss of sleep. A very “Hard Time”, H. Rumberger and D. Williams are absent.

June 15, Monday
I arose at 5 a.m. and marched without eating about 4 miles. It is a fine warm day. We passed our old camp in the Wilderness, the road is blocked with wagons and guns, and is very dusty. The Second Corps is also on this road. I had to mend my pants today, and made some lemonade, the sutlers are all skedaddling. Found some lice on my shirts also, I cooked some coffee and ate breakfast at 10 a.m. We crossed Acquia Creek by wading; we suffered much from fatigue and heat. We marched a little after 10 a.m. and marched all day to make 12 miles in all and arrived at Stafford. A great many of the men are sun struck, at least a 100 men in our division were taken so. I laid in the woods for one hour in a creek. I washed and then marched to Dumfries. I had another wash, supper and then slept solid. There were a great many stores abandoned.

June 16, Tuesday,
We arose at 3 a.m. to another fine day. Our march was difficult because of artillery blocking the way. We marched about 2 miles, halted and cooked coffee at 6 a.m. Sedgwick scolded us because we did not march faster. We again took up the line of march and halted at 4 p.m. and had dinner. I took a swim in the Occoquan. My feet are very sore, and I am very tired. The men straggled very much. We came in with only three muskets, marched some 12 miles. We again took up the line of march and marched 12 miles and halted at Fairfax Station at 7 p.m. Distanced marched 20 miles. I was very tired and foot sore. Oberender came and had some of the ardent. Whiskey was issued to the men. News that the Rebs are in Pennsylvania is a great sensation. I got a clean pair of socks to put on. I again slept badly.

June 17, Wednesday
We arose at 3 a.m. to a fine day. I got some coffee and laid still most of the day. We fired our guns. I got a clean shirt and drawers and threw away the dirty ones. I wrote a letter to my wife, and also received one from her. My feet are very sore. Today the men raided a sutler,. Officers were ordered to reduce baggage.

June 18, Thursday
A very fine warm day, I rose at 3 ½ a.m. got coffee and set out on the march at 4 a.m. We passed by Fairfax Court House, and took the road to Leesburg. We halted in a fine large woods until the next day. We marched a distance of 5 miles. A large train of wounded cavalry passed by us today, there was a heavy cavalry fight at Aldie some 18 miles from us. They say our side was successful. I also made requisitions for some clothing. It started to rain in the evening and rained heavily all night. I slept well.

June 19, Friday
I rose up at 5 a.m. to a cloudy morning. I got breakfast and wrote a letter to my wife. I laid quiet all day. I can hear cannonading all day. There was cavalry skirmishing all day. I think we will have a battle in a few days. We were ordered to be ready to move on a short notice. It rained all night, and I did not sleep very well. I received a letter from my wife.

June 20, Saturday
I wrote a letter to my wife. Lt. Getter, of the 46th P.V. came to see me. It rained during the day. I laid quiet again. I wrote a letter to Dr. Wetherill. A lot of Rebel prisoners are being brought in. I got $4 dollars from Dr. Bland, leaving 41 in his hands. I sl;ept badly but dreamt of home.

June 21, Sunday
A cloudy day. I had an inspection at 9 a.m. We issued clothing to the men, I drew a canteen, 1 pr. Socks , 1 pr. Drawers. I aid my mess bill to Fesig $3.43. I heard heavy cannonading all day in the direction of Leesburg. A trial of wounded came in. I read and slept all day, and went to bed at 9 p.m. and slept badly.

June 22, Monday
A fine day rose up at 6 ½. Dr. bland gave me $41 dollars. I played Vigt. Et-in and made out so –so . More prisoners came in. I put up my tent, and got my baggage.

June 23, Tuesday
A fine day. I worked like a beaver all day. Finished my back ordnance return. We were inspected by captain hall in the afternoon. I had some punch in the evening. More prisoners and wounded being brought in. We fixed the camp.

June 24, Wednesday
A fine day. I mailed out my back ordnance return to General Ripley, made out a new muster roll. I worked all day at my books and papers. Had my receipt rolls witnessed and signed. And received a letter from my dear wife. I wrote her a letter. I had a headache all day. And did not go on dress parade

June 25, Thursday
A cloudy day. I felt unwell. I made out 4 muster rolls and received pay vouchers for quarterly returns. I was also Officer of the Day. And was out to Regimental Drill. I worked hard on my accounts. We received orders to move, and packed our baggage. I paid my mess bill to Fesig $5.00 and sent a package to my wife. We had our photographs taken in a group, and got some ice cream. It rained all night. “Hooker Dream”

June 26, Friday
A cloudy day, rose up at 1 a.m., then got the men up. Cooked coffee, packed up and loaded baggage and marched at 4 a.m. via Guilford Station, Dranesville and went into camp at 1 p.m. about a half mile from Dranesville. It was raining all day, and the march was terrible and rapid, the distance marched was about 18 to 20 miles, nice country, lots of cherries. I am very tired, it rained in the evening and I did not sleep well.

June 27, Saturday
A cloudy day. We rose at 3 a.m. but did not march until 6, cause the road was blocked by teams and troops. The march was very tedious. We arrived at Edwards Ferry at 10 a.m. in Loudon County is the best in Virginia. Maryland is looking nice from this side also. And starring us in the face is Sugar Loaf Mt. I commenced a letter to my wife and then laid around until 5 ½ p.m. We crossed the Potomac on pontoon bridges consisting of 64 pontoons on the river and 11 on Goose Creek. We marched some distance and camped in a large field at 6 ½ p.m. We marched a total distance of 10 miles. The boys forgot they were out of Virginia and made a raid on the fences, they were scolded for it.

June 28, Sunday
Arose at 3 a.m. to a cloudy day. We marched at 4 ½ a.m. Passed Monocacy Church at 6 ½ . Turned on the old road to Barnesville at 10 a.m. I mailed a letter to my wife. Marched along all day until 6 p.m. We passed by Hyattstown and camped about 1 mile from there on the road to New market. We marched 20 miles today. It felt as thou we had marched 30 miles. I spent the evening with some “Old Maids”: - “My father died” etc.

June 29, Monday
A cloudy day, raining at intervals all day. We rose at 3 a.m. and marched at 4 ½ and passed through Monrovia, New Market. We crossed the B&O Railroad. Came on the turnpike 6 miles to Rydersville, turned off and passed through Mt. Airy and crossed the B&O again. Here we rested for two hours. We marched until 6 p.m. and halted until morning. We ate cherries and drank milk, and diarrhea was the result. We marched 24 miles. I made requisitions for clothing. It rained during the night. I had command of the B&G of rear guard. The men straggled very much today. Dr. Bland gave me a lift. I then went to a farm house for supper. Here we ate lots of cherries, the limestone water operated on me.

June 30, Tuesday
A cloudy day. The mail came in today. We marched at 8 a.m. and passed through Lewisburg. We then marched to Westminster a distance of 9 miles. Arrived there at 1 ½ p.m. we marched through the town a very nice place, population 2,000. We halted and rested for two hours. We resumed the march at 3 ½ p.m. and marched to the Manchester Road. Crossing the Maryland Central railroad and halted and went into camp in a large woods, marched a distance of 8 miles, the whole distance marched was 17 miles. Rained at intervals throughout the day. We are all very tired and foot sore. Three rebel prisoners are brought in. I saw Lt. carpenter and Capt. Young as we passed through town. A great many pretty girls in town. Country we marched through is splendid.

The 96th monument and Position Below Little round Top

July 1, Wednesday
Cloudy day. We mustered the men for pay. Had an inspection and equalized ammunition. All kinds of rumors prevailing. Heavy cannonading toward Gettysburg. We drew two days extra rations. I wrote my wife and brother Fred. We marched at 9. p.m. and got on the wrong road. We halted at 12 midnight and rested until the Third Division passed. I suffered from sore feet very much.

July 2, Thursday
A cloudy day, marched all night. We took the pike to Littlestown and Gettysburg. Rumor that a big battle took place at Gettysburg, and that General Reynolds had been killed. We saw a captured rebel train, and also prisoners. We came into Pennsylvania at 8:05 a.m. I am very tired and foot sore. We passed through Littlestown a very nice place, the ladies were cheering and waving their kerchiefs. This county is splendid, large crops of grain etc. in the fields. Dr. Bland gave me a pass to get in an ambulance to rest in. I did and rode to near Gettysburg. I arrived here at 4 ½ p.m. we marched a total distance of 32 miles today. The cannonading is very heavy, a great many wounded men came past us. We went into action at 6 p.m., we charged forward several times and at dark, rested behind a stone wall for the night. We had one man in the regiment wounded. We crossed a creek and all got wet feet. I passed a horrid night, the groans of the wounded filled the night air, where they laid very thick.

July 3, Friday
A cloudy day, we were aroused by the firing of the skirmishers at 3:45 a.m. The shelling was very heavy at our line all day. One man was wounded by a piece of shell in our regiment. The 95th P.V.I. had two men shot. In the evening, the Third Division made a charge and advanced our line, also the Pennsylvania Reserves charged. They took the 15th Georgia Prisoners. All in all, our success was very brilliant. I made up a detail to gather up arms lying in the field. There are immense numbers of wounded coming in. I caught a bad cold. It has been raining at intervals all day long. In the evening, a shower fell. Six of the enemy batteries shelled the heights around us awfully during the day Douden, Glass, Rumberger, Feree still absent.

July 4, Saturday
Rainy in the morning but cleared off early. I roused up the men at 2 a.m. and distributed rations. Drew 9 pairs of shoes and gave them to the men. All very quiet this morning, the carnage of the field beyond is horrible. The regulars must have suffered considerably. I took a walk over the battle field. Our loss was heavier than theirs. I wrote to my wife and had it mailed at Littlestown. Huber paid me $1.37, I paid Fessig $3.30 for my mess acct. to date. I felt unwell, seems I caught a cold. At 10 ½ a.m. we advanced to the wheat field and supported a reconnaissance made by the Second Brigade of Sykes regulars. We found the enemy in force about 1 mile in the rear of the old position. They opened up with shells on our advance. No one was hurt in our regiment. Our men gathered great quantities of arms all day from the advance picket line. We returned to our old position at the stone fence at 12. And laid there all afternoon. At 1 ½ p.m. the Regulars relieved the Pennsylvania reserves and are now in our front lines, we are in the second line. It rained heavy all afternoon. The Rebs burned down the house across the wheat field. It rained heavy all evening and night, We drew rations after dark. I slept badly I coughed very much during the night. J.C. Bear said he was sick and was sent to the rear.

July 5, Sunday
Rainy and cloudy day again, rose at 4 a.m. and moved to the rear about a half mile and halted along a road until 9 a.m. when we moved to the front. The whole Corps seemed to move and halted in the Wheat Field until 1 p.m. when we moved forward. I think the rebs have gone. The stench is horrible from the dead carcasses lying around. We moved forward by columns and in line of battle at times, skirmishing along. Major Lessig and Company A took 2 of the 47th Alabama. Found that the rebs left all their hospitals and wounded to fall into our hands. At 6 p.m. we caught up with their rear guard near Blue Ridge Gap. They opened with shell. Our batteries played on them. Saw their train winding along the Gap. We formed in line of Battle and took the extreme right of the line. We moved forward until dark, when we laid down in line of battle and slept. We were wet, tired and hungry. My cough troubled me .

July 6, Monday
Cloudy and rainy, rose at 4 a.m. and cooked coffee. Hen Romberger came to the company. We rested in some woods until 4 ½ p.m. when we marched through Fairfield toward Mountain Gap. We rested and cooked coffee in a large field on the other side of the town. Daniel Stahl rejoined the company. Our Division was last today, our regiment the last one. Very short on rations. We marched at 11 p.m. and marched all night.

July 7, Tuesday
A fine day but cloudy. We passed through Emittsburg at 3 a.m. a portion of the town was burned. Institute buildings are fine. We halted nearby until 10 a.m. We slept and cooked some coffee. It rained a little. We passed through Franklinville and Mechanics town, small villages. I mailed a letter to my wife at latter place. Ladies sang, waving flags etc. All lovely, goose hangs high. All very short of rations. Three crackers a piece. Passed by Thompson’s Furnace, left Lewistown to our left and crossed over the pass in the Catoctin Mountain. Horrible marching. It again commenced to rain and continued all night. Regiments were getting lost in the dark. Artillery jammed up and things were awfully mixed up. We marched along until 10 ½ p.m. when I camped in the woods with three of my men. Thousands of men went and laid down in the rain. I washed my feet and socks and laid down in my gum blanket to sleep. Got my ass wet. We all suffered from hunger, fatigue and exposure. We marched 25 miles.

July 8, Wednesday
A rainy day, rained heavily all morning. Our Brigade waited on top of the mountain until 9 ½ a.m. waiting for stragglers to come up. We marched down the mountain and passed through Belleville, in mud ankle deep all the way. We halted and camped 1 ½ miles from Middletown at Turner’s Gap. Drew rations for the men. We skirmished for lice and laid down to sleep, wet, tired and hungry. I did not feel well. Heavy cannonading from the other side of South Mountain. News came that Vicksburg had surrendered. Cleared off toward evening. I received a letter from my wife dated the 2nd. I reported Frank Douden and John Glass as deserters and Urich D. Feree as absent sick. Coughed most of the night. There was a cavalry fight in Turner’s Gap. We marched 6 miles today.

July 9, Thursday
Cloudy day. Roused up at 3 a.m. and marched at 5 a.m. and passed through Middletown, crossed South Mountain at Turner’s gap and passed through Boonsboro, we turned off and laid in line of battle. I can see Antietam Battlefield. I mailed a letter to my wife at Middletown. We moved about a half mile further and laid in line of battle all night. There was heavy fighting down the valley. The rebs trying to come our way. John Van Hollen came into camp, We marched 8 miles.

July 10, Friday

July 11, Saturday
A fine warm day. We deployed groups at 3 a.m. I drew 11 pair of shoes and some rations. We advanced as skirmishers by the right flank at 5 a.m. we formed regiment at Antietam Bridge and rested at 10 a.m. I took Co. B and G across the bridge and occupied the rebel rifle pits. We sent out skirmishers. They drove the rebs back to the woods. We took one prisoner of Munford’s 2nd Virginia Cavalry. The firing was lively. I fired some three or four shots. We were relieved in the evening and moved in the right flank and rested for a few minutes. We moved into the skirmish line and supported a section of artillery. We opened fire but received no reply. Knocked Jake Nice and H Keiser down with my sword for disobedience of orders. Came back after dark and slept for the night. I lost my gum blanket.

July 12, Sunday
Foggy Morning. I paid Fesig $2.29 for my mess bill at the 10th inst. We marched at 5 ½ a.m. Passed through Funkstown, crossed the Antietam Creek and formed into line of battle within one mile of Hagerstown. Laid around, moving our lines now and then until evening, when we moved to the left. We made breastworks. At Dark, moved forward to support the 121st N.Y. pickets. Was on picket with part of the regiment. I mailed a letter at Funkstown to my wife. Heavy Skirmishing. The eleventh Corps and First Corps moved to our right, Fifth Corps to our left. I was very sick all night.

July 13, Monday
Cloudy and rainy. Aroused and moved forward to the skirmish line at 3 !/1 a.m. Heavy picket firing all day. I am very sick. Close shooting. Exchanged newspapers with the rebs. Firing Stopped. The First South Carolina is opposite us. It is raining at intervals all day. We relieved about 6 p.m. and retired behind our breast works for the night. The enemy was busy all day at their earthworks, they opened with shell on our right, one man in our regiment was wounded by a sharpshooter.


1 comment:

The Ebon Swan said...

Very well done...I'm going to mark your blog for further reading and future research.